A long-standing player in the French retail market, Casino is now one of the world’s foremost food retailers. The Group has successfully applied its multi-format, multi-banner, multi-channel model in all host countries around the world.
Casino’s vision of retailing is based on two key factors: its close relationship with customers nurtured by more than 227,800 employees worldwide and its ability to adapt to extremely varied local situations. Backed by a solid balance sheet and disciplined debt management, the Group boasts a balanced portfolio of assets comprising banners, networks, professions, services and property activities that contribute actively to growth. Its continuous innovation strategy, its retail know-how and its proactive engagement in the community make Casino a unique player in the retail industry that can consistently live up to its motto of “nourishing a world of diversity”.
The Group’s development has taken on new momentum in the past ten years, with a strategy involves increasing the proportion of sales from countries with high potential for growth and profitability while focusing on the most buoyant formats in France.
In each of its host countries, Casino has successfully anticipated new consumer habits and adapted quickly to establish solid positions.
The Group has more than 12,960 sales outlets in France and the international market, including in Argentina, (Libertad, Mini Libertad), Brazil (Pão de Açúcar, Extra, Assaí), Colombia (Éxito), the Indian Ocean (Jumbo, Score), Uruguay (Disco, Devoto), and around ten countries in Africa.
The strategic paths structuring the Group’s operations include:
- Selective international development focused on high potential markets such as Brazil, Colombia, where Casino holds leadership positions.
- A multi-format approach that emphasises the development of convenience and discount stores through a network of differentiated, synergistic banners.
- A targeted response to each consumer’s expectations (precision retailing).
- Tailored digital strategies : from Cdiscount’s leadership model in France to the specific digital strategies of the Group’s banners
- An offering of high-quality, innovative, attractive private-label products.
- A dual retailing/property approach that is a distinctive feature of the Casino business model.Applied both in France and internationally, this expertise is a key value driver for the Group.
Key figures 2016
- 227.842 employees around the world
- More than 12,960 stores around the world
- €36 billion in consolidated net sales
- €1.034 billion in trading profit
- N°1 in Brazil
- N°1 in Colombia
- E-commerce: Cdiscount is No. 2 in France